Saturday 17 March 2012

First post!

In two weeks time, I will  be heading to Addis Ababa for five weeks to teach anesthesia at the University of Addis Ababa and at the Black Lion Hospital. I am going as part of TAAAC, an academic collaboration between the University of Toronto and the University of Addis Ababa.

It is similar to a trip I did two years ago to Rwanda (johninrwanda.blogspot.com). The main aim is to teach anesthesia residents in their own country with the hope that they will stay there, rather than use their qualification to get work in a more developed country.

At present, I don't know when I will be leaving, or where I will be staying in Addis. Both these issues are arranged and paid for by the University of Addis Ababa, and tend to be left until the last minute. It's not the way I like to do things, but I have no say in the matter.

Enough for now, I have to get on with some packing and arranging the lectures I need to give. We will be teaching in the operating room most days, but Wed and Fri afternoons we have to give lectures according to a pre-planned schedule. I am assigned anatomy and nerve block of the arm. Not topics I would choose for myself, but again its not my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment